Saint Mary's Church is the second oldest church of Berlin after Saint Nicolai. Rebuilt in 1405, it has a very simply uncluttered façade and delightful brick architecture. Langhans accentuated the simple construction by adding a somewhat massive green pinnacle to the church tower. Note too the lovely bronze doors cast by Achim Kühn in 1970 with their non-figurative motif. All we can ascertain is that the bronze is cast in a wave like pattern, the rest is open to the imagination. Of particular interest in the interior is a 72 foot long frieze entitled 'The Dance of the Dead' which dates from 1484 but was only rediscovered in 1860. This popular theme in the Middle Ages demonstrates the fleeting nature of life and the equality of all in the face of death. The 27 dancing figures can be identified by their dress. There are members of the clergy from humble priest to Pope and laymen from peasant to emperor. Note too that the figure of Death is looking out at the spectator, forcing us to reflect upon our fate. This was an invaluable educational tool for illiterate members of the congregation. We recommend a visit to this church.