Built in 1700, the Arsenal was the first Baroque building of Berlin and nowadays is home to the German Historical Museum. At the entrance is a glass modern construction with a small spiral tower. This is a staircase designed by the architect Leoh Ming Pei. There are numerous statues here that remind us that of the Arsenal's military vocation. On display in the lovely square courtyard are 22 gigantic masks of dying soldiers sculpted by Schlüter. These masks symbolise the pain, horror and death which are the consequences of human vanity, however for Frederick 1st, they represented above all else the conquered enemy. These 22 masks by Schlüter are rightly considered a masterpiece in the history of art and demonstrate the ability of German sculptors and painters to depict the very depths of mankind beyond all pretence and illusion. The purpose of the museum is to explain both German and European history. The permanent exhibition is set out over three storeys - almost 107,000 square feet - and exhibits historical artefacts in a variety of contexts from the great invasions to modern day.